The SAP Cloud SDK is a set of libraries and tools for developers to build cloud-native applications on the SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP). It abstracts the complexities of the SAP BTP, thus allowing you to focus on the application's business logic. The SAP Cloud SDK is available in two flavors:
- Simplify development using connectivity abstractions for SAP BTP: handling destinations, proxies, and authentication for cloud and on-premise systems
- Prevent cascading failures through common resiliency patterns such as retry and circuit-breaker
- Improve application performance through configurable and tenant-aware caching solutions
- Access application logs using standard logging frameworks integrations
- Build multi-tenant applications on supported environments like Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes and Kyma
- Generate typed clients for OData and OpenAPI services that integrate seamlessly with the above features
For a complete overview of supported features, check out the feature matrix.
Products Using the SAP Cloud SDK
A few prominent products using the SAP Cloud SDK are:
- SAP Cloud Application Lifecycle Management
- SAP Cloud Application Programming Model
- SAP Cloud for Real Estate
- SAP Portfolio and Project Management
- SAP Business Technology Platform Workflow
SAP Cloud Application Programming Model
The SAP Cloud Application Programming Model (CAP) is a framework of languages, libraries, and tools for building enterprise-grade services and applications. With CAP, you can model an application's business domains and services in Core Data Services (CDS), add the business logic and automatically expose it via service APIs. CAP is recommended for building APIs (OData, REST, Messaging) and consuming and emitting Enterprise Messages for SAP S/4HANA.
SAP Cloud SDK & SAP Cloud Application Programming Model
CAP plays on the API and service publishing side, while SAP Cloud SDK deals with API consumption and deployment of applications to SAP BTP. The SAP Cloud SDK is also used internally by CAP for consuming remote services of SAP and other solutions. If you do not interact with other services or SAP solutions, you may not need the capabilities of the SAP Cloud SDK.
Depending on your use case, you can use SAP Cloud SDK and SAP Cloud Application Programming Model individually or in combination.