Role: HCP / SAP HANA Administrator
Systems, Tools, Services:
- HCP Cockpit
- HANA Cockpit on HCP
Step 1: Create New SAP HANA Database on SAP HANA Cloud Platform
In this step we will create a new SAP HANA Multitenant Database Container (MDC) in your SAP HANA Cloud Platform account. Henceforth, we will simply refer to the HANA MDC as HANA database. You want to replicate data from your on-premises SAP NetWeaver backend system into this database, so that you can work with this data independently from backend system availability.
- Log in to your SAP HANA Cloud Platform Trial account, by opening your HCP bookmark.
Click on the <p-user>trial link to open the account dashboard, in case it is not already opened.
Navigate to Persistence > Databases & Schemas.
Click on New.
Enter the following values:
- Schema ID: hana
- Database System: HANA MDC (<trial>)
- SYSTEM User Password: <enter a password and remember it> (min 15 characters)
- Repeat Password: <repeat password>
- Keep the default values of the other parameters.
- Click on Save.
Wait. The database creation process may take around 10 minutes. The final event log entry should state HTTPS access from Internet enabled.
Warning: The HANA database in your HCP trial account is stopped automatically every 12 hours. So you need to ensure that your HANA database is running before executing each unit, especially if you don’t work on this course continuously. If the SAP HANA multitenant database remains in a stopped state for two weeks, it will be deleted from your HCP trial account! In the SAP HANA Cloud Platform Cockpit you can see when it will be stopped or deleted.
Result: You have now created and started your own SAP HANA database running in your SAP HANA Cloud Platform trial account.
Step 2: Create Database User ACME in SAP HANA Cockpit
In this step you will log in to the SAP HANA Cockpit (not to be confused with the SAP HANA Cloud Platform Cockpit). This is a web interface that allows you to administer and monitor the HANA database running in your SAP HANA Cloud Platform account. You will create a new database user called ACME that will be used for all consecutive interactions with the database. It is not a recommended practice to use the existing SYSTEM user, so that there is always an admin user available with extended privileges, e.g. in case the ACME user should get locked or compromised.
- Go to your HCP account by opening the HCP bookmark and navigate to Persistence > Databases & Schemas.
Click on hana, to open the overview page for your newly created HANA MDC database.
Open the Administration Tools by clicking on SAP HANA Cockpit
- Login with the user SYSTEM and the password you set when you created the SAP HANA MDC database.
An information dialog opens, telling you that you are not authorized to open the SAP HANA Cockpit. Once you click on OK, the user SYSTEM will be assigned the necessary roles. Click on Continue.
- You should see a Successful dialog window, which you confirm with Continue to open the HANA cockpit in a new window.
Click on the Manage Roles and Users tile.
A new tab SAP HANA Web-based Development Workbench: Security has opened for managing database users and their roles on the HANA database.
Select New > User from the menu.
Enter ACME as username and provide an initial password.
Note: The initial password must have at least eight characters, contain at least one number, one capital letter and one lowercase letter.
Note: This initial password will be changed upon first logon with the ACME user. As you are probably using the same password throughout this tutorial, we recommend that you provide a different initial password here that you can replace with your default tutorial password upon your first logon with the ACME user.
- Navigate to the tab Granted Roles and add the following roles by pressing the + icon:
- sap.hana.xs.ide.roles::Developer (for doing database development, e.g. enabling OData services)
- MODELING (for modeling HANA analytical views)
- Switch to the tab System Privileges and add the following system privileges by pressing the + icon:
- CREATE SCHEMA (for SLT replication)
- ROLE ADMIN (for SLT replication)
- USER ADMIN (for SLT replication and to reactivate the SYSTEM user in case it should get locked.)
- Navigate to the tab Package Privileges
- Add the .REPO_PACKAGE_ROOT by pressing the + icon.
- In the right-hand section Privileges for ‘Root Package’, select the checkbox ALL for granting write access to the root folder.
Click Save icon in the toolbar of the Security cockpit.
- Please verify that the user has been saved by checking the event log in the bottom right corner.
Result: You have now created a new user called ACME on the SAP HANA database running in your SAP HANA Cloud Platform account. This user has now the required roles and privileges for executing the tasks in the upcoming exercises.
Step 3: Connect SAP HANA Development Environment in Eclipse to HANA DB on HCP
In the first week of this course, you have added some additional plugins to your Eclipse IDE from the https://tools.hana.ondemand.com repository. In the SAP HANA Development Environment you can work with and model database tables on your HANA database. In this step you will connect this SAP HANA Development Environment to the SAP HANA database running in your SAP HANA Cloud Platform trial account.
- Open your Eclipse IDE.
- If you have followed the previous exercises, so far you can only see the Java EE and ABAP perspectives in Eclipse.
Add the SAP HANA Development perspective, by clicking on Window > Perspective > Open Perspective > Other or by clicking the Open Perspective icon in the toolbar.
- Open the SAP HANA Development perspective.
In the left-hand section, switch to the Systems tab.
Click on the little arrow next to the Create icon to open a context menu and select Add Cloud System…
In the Add SAP HANA Cloud Platform System you need to provide the logon data of your HCP trial account, NOT of your HANA database:
- Account name: <your HCP trial account name>
- User name: <your HCP trial account user>
- Password: <your HCP trial account password>
- Click on Next.
In the SAP HANA Schemas and Databases wizard screen, please provide the following information:
- Database: hana
- Database User: ACME
- Database Password: <initial password you set in step 3>
- Uncheck the Save database password checkbox, as you will change the initial password in the next step.
- Click on Finish
Change the initial password for the ACME user:
Warning: Due to a current ABAP tool bug your permanent password must not start with ‘!’ as character.
- Old password: <initial ACME password>
- Password: <set a permanent password for the ACME user>
- Repeat: <repeat permanent password>
- Click OK.
- You should now see a successful confirmation message: Password for user ACME changed.
You can now see that a System has been added in the section on the left. It represents a connection to the SAP HANA database in your HCP account with the ACME user.
Result: You have now successfully set up the SAP HANA Development environment in your Eclipse IDE. You have changed the initial password for the ACME database user and connected the SAP HANA Development environment to the SAP HANA database running in your SAP HANA Cloud Platform account.
|< Previous Unit 1||Up ^ Week 4||Next > Unit 3|